Monday, January 4, 2010

2010

As we begin 2010, I am reminded of New Year’s resolutions. On December 31, I heard, “I hope that my family draws closer to God this year”. Immediately upon hearing this, I began to feel unrest, curiosity, conviction and motivation. “Closer to God?” What does that mean? How do you measure that? Yes, I feel the same way! Yes, my life’s desire is to be closer to God. Yes, I want to have the same goal for 2010. However, is this statement just empty words that cause my friends to believe that I am somehow spiritual? Is it empty words that sooth my conscience and make me feel more spiritual?

The curiosity has fueled my search for what it means to “draw closer to God”. Jesus said “love me and love others”. Can I measure that? He left many answers in His word. Obviously, the answer is yes…therein lies my resolution for 2010. Yes, I accept the challenge to “draw closer to God”, and this is my prayer.

God, help me as I study your word and try to implement the fruits of the Spirit in my life. Reveal to me your unfailing mercy and grace as I try to understand and extend the same to others. Assist me as I struggle with selfishness and judgment. Remind me that You are the judge, You are the jury and You have instructed me to “love”. Give me direction as I try to follow You. Can I accept those that do not look like I expect them to look? You did. Can I love those that smell, judge, are rude, cut me off in traffic, slow me down in traffic, do me wrong, judge me, talk about me, ridicule me, don’t provide the level of service that I expect...? You did.

I really want to exhibit love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance. I really want to love Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I really want to love my neighbor as myself. I really want to do all those things; however, I must first understand what these things mean and how they are truly applied. On December 31, 2010, I will be able to measure my success in achieving new years resolutions. Do I understand more about what it means to “draw closer to God” and have I applied this understanding?

No comments: